From Cooking Matters
2 medium lemons
1 cup bulgur wheat
1½ cups boiling water
1 cup fresh parsley
3 green onions
1 large tomato
1 small cucumber
2 Tablespoons olive oil
¾ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
Pinch ground cayenne pepper or paprika.
(optional) 4 ounces feta cheese
(optional) ¼ cup mint leaves
- Rinse, halve, and juice lemons, discarding seeds.
- Combine bulgur. boiling water, and lemon juice. Cover and let rest until soft and chewy, about 30 minutes.
- Rinse parsley, green onions, tomato, cucumber, and mint leaves (if using).
- Chop parsley and mint leaves (if using).
- Trim ends off and thinly slice green onions.
- Remove core and dice tomato.
- Halve cucumber lengthwise. With spoon, scoop out and discard seeds. Dice. If using feta, dice.
If using feta, dice now.
- Drain liquid from bulgur. Combine bulgur and remaining ingredients in a bowl. Mix well to combine.
- Got extra? Diced and sliced cucumbers make great additions to salads, sandwiches, infused water, salsa, or as a chip/cracker substitute for dips.