Sweet Peas with Lemon
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 pound fresh peas
1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the peas and stir to coat. Cook the peas for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the lemon zest, salt and pepper (and thyme, if desired) and cook 3 to 5 more minutes, until the peas begin to puff and are crisp, but tender.
- Serve immediately.
- Sweet peas are best when cooked briefly. Cooking them for too long means ending up with soggy, bitter peas. Bleh! You don’t want that, so make sure you don’t overcook them.
- Perfectly cooked peas are green and have a slight crunch. Basically: you want them to break when you bite into them.
- Wash and dry the lemon. Make sure that when you are grating the lemons, you are removing only the yellow part. The white part is bitter and you should avoid grating it.
- Tip: To prevent lemon zest from sticking to the grater or grater, wrap the tool in plastic wrap before grating. When you’re done, remove the plastic wrap from the grater and shake it to transfer the lemon zest to a plate.