Mediterranean Chickpea Soup
From The Clever Meal
2 cans of chickpeas, drained (28oz – 800 grams)
1 can of canned tomatoes, diced (14 oz- 400 grams)
2 1/2 cups of vegetable broth (600 ml)
1 cup of frozen spinach (7 oz – 200 grams from frozen)*
1 cup of celery, diced (1 big celery stalk)
1 cup of onion, diced (1 large onion)
1 cup of carrots, diced (about 2 medium carrots)
1 large garlic clove, minced or pressed
1 tsp of paprika
1 tsp of dried oregano
2-3 bay leaves (optional)
1/2 tbsp of flour (heaped)
1/2 tsp of fine salt, plus more to taste
1/8 tsp of black pepper, plus more to taste
1 lemon, juice (optional)
- Warm the olive oil and add the diced onion, carrot, and celery. Cook, stirring often, until the onion has softened and is turning translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add the garlic, paprika, oregano, and bay leaves and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the chickpeas and cook for another minute, stirring often.
- Pour in the diced tomatoes, the spinach, the broth and 1/2 tsp of salt. Raise the heat and bring the mixture to a boil, then cover the pot, reduce heat and cook for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, dissolve 1/2 tbsp of flour into 1/2 cup of cold water, mix until smooth and stir into the soup. Stir well and cook for another minute. Remove the pot from the heat, then remove the bay leaves. Taste and season with more salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste.