Citrusy Beet and Apple Salad
- 3 medium beets
- 2 medium apples
- 2 celery stalks
- Juice of 1/2 medium grapefruit, orange, or lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch black pepper
- 1-2 medium grapefruit, oranges, or other citrus
- Celery leaves or fresh herbs like mint or parsley
- 1 small red onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Rinse beets, apples, celery, and grapefruit.
- Peel beets. Cut beets into quarter-inch to half-inch size cubes. Cut apples into cubes similar in size to the beets.
- Thinly slice celery in pieces similar to beets and apples.
- If using celery leaves and/or fresh herbs, finely chop them. If using red onion, peel and finely chop them. If using garlic, peel and mince.
- Cut grapefruit in half, squeeze juice into a cup or bowl and remove any seeds. You want 2-3 tablespoons of juice.
- Add salt and pepper to citrus juice, and add minced garlic if using. If you like a sweeter dressing, add honey. Whisk ingredients with a fork or whisk.
- If using fresh grapefruit or citrus pieces: Cut top and bottom of fruit. Place fruit on cutting surface on one of the flat ends. Remove skin and white pith from the pulp in by cutting downard in sections, moving between the white membranes. Chop in 1/2 – 1 inch chunks.
- Place beets, apples, celery, and optional onion and citrus pieces into salad bowl. Pour dressing over and mix well. Garnish with finely chopped fresh herbs or celery leaves.
- Try adding 1-2 carrots, parsnips, or other root veggies. Prepare them in the same way you prep the beets and apples.
- If you have time, try roasting the beets first – this takes about 1 hour and makes the beets softer and sweeter, with less earthy flavors.
- Cook the beets as whole, unpeeled, in water. The skin is easily removed after cooking.
- Try serving salad over greens like spinach, beet greens, or salad greens. Or try serving over cooled, cooked grains like quinoa or rice.