Butternut Squash Black Beans Quinoa
From Last Ingredient
2 medium or 1 large butternut squash (about 3 pounds)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt plus more for serving
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups water
1 cup quinoa
1–15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 scallions thinly sliced
1/3 cup roughly chopped cilantro
Juice of 2 limes
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss the butternut squash with olive oil, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Spread into a single layer on a sheet pan. Roast for 25-30 minutes until the squash is tender and starting to brown.
- Bring the water and quinoa to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 12 minutes until the quinoa is tender and the water has been absorbed. Fluff with a fork and let the quinoa cool for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the butternut squash and quinoa. Fold in the black beans, scallions, cilantro and lime juice.
- Season with salt to taste.
- You can also add cranberries, caramelized onions, other herbs like sage, spinach, and nuts like cashews.
- You can add cabbage and substitute black beans for garbanzo
- You can make it cold or warm by the way you serve the quinoa